Friday, March 29, 2013

Garden Beds

Yesterday we finished making the garden beds. Instead of tilling up the yard to remove the grass, we decided to go with garden cloth to line the beds. This will help keep weeds out better than tilling the area.
Once the calculations on size were done, we figured a yard of garden mix will do just fine. Instead of buying bagged soil, which would have ran around $160 we went to the garden wholesaler to purchase the soil in bulk. This way we paid less than $34 with tax. If you have the means to transport it, you can come out so much cheaper doing it this way. 
All that's left to do now is lightly water the soil and let it settle before we transplant the seedlings.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dixie Lee's Mama!

    I am so jealous that you are already planting your gardens. This past Sunday we received 8" of snow! I am now transplanting all my starts into larger containers because they've already outgrown their little ones. I wish it were warm enough to transplant them into the ground, but alas, that will have to wait a few more weeks. I pray our Lord blesses you with an abundant harvest this summer.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. B ~ I do not envy your weather. Ours is actually a little crazy this year too. We have had some 40* degree weather in April! Go figure. I need to update the with my latest "in the garden" pictures. I am praying & believing for a wonderful harvest this year. Thanks for stopping by. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete